News + Events
Center for World Heritage Studies in the News:
Counts, Fred. "World Heritage Conservation in Gondar, Ethiopia" 2014
• July 7, 2009. At its 33rd Session in Seville, Spain, the World Heritage Committee removed the Walled City of Baku, Shirvanshah's Palace and Maiden Tower in Azerbaijan from the list of World Heritage in Danger.
Faculty and staff from the Center for World Heritage Studies worked with students from the University of Minnesota and Azerbaijan University of Architecture and Construction (AzUAC) in 2006 and 2007 to conduct a UNESCO inventory project of Icheri Sheher—the walled inner city of Baku. The survey was one of the first steps toward accurate building documentation in advance of the implementation of a sustainable management plan for the site, leading to the World Heritage in Danger de-listing.
The survey records are reproduced in a document published by UNESCO in 2009.
• LeFevre, Camille. "Conservation and Preservation". Emerging (Fall 2008), 6-8.
• New Centre for World Heritage Studies at University of Minnesota, USA. March 24, 2006 [http://whc.unesco.org/en/news/241]
Mattern, Patty. “Saving the Past: U Students Help Rescue an Ancient City From Extinction”. M Spring 2006: 10
• Mack, Linda. “Minnesota Team to Work on Endangered Historic Site”. Star Tribune February 2, 2006: A11-12
• Mack, Linda. “U Team Works on UNESCO Heritage Site”. Star Tribune December 4, 2005: F3